St Patrick’s Basilica was opened in 1894. It was designed by Mr F. W. Petre. The original plan included a central dome and a colonnaded porch which were never completed because of the costs involved. The term basilica refers to both the architectural style and the importance of the church in the diocese.
One of Dunedin's most spectacular religious sites, architects McCoy and Wixon have lovingly restored it to it's former glory.
Architect - Regan Hall from McCoy and Wixon Architects.